Well folks, here it is! My Anschutz Liberty Training Rifle! Thankfully it’s ready just in time for the Appleseed event this weekend.
Now, for the details of what was done. Essentially, this was not really a good idea, at least from a financial point of view. We’ll just chalk this one up to a “labor of love,” a good gun project to keep me busy. Basically, between the cost of the rifle, the Tech-Sights, the new bolt handle, the two ten round Anschutz factory magazines, the gunsmithing fee for drilling and tapping the barrel and receiver and the sling and sling studs, I could have purchased three Marlin LTRs. So needless to say I won’t be doing this again! All that aside it was a really neat project and I have enjoyed putting it together and obtaining the final result.
I began by stripping the gun completely (as shown in the previous post) and sent the barreled action to the GS for D&T. Then, while I waited, I installed the sling studs in the stock, polished the trigger a bit as well as the feed ramp the, and ground the round bolt handle down and installed the new DIP bolt handle. After getting the barreled action back from the GS, I reassembled the gun, (not quite as easy as I thought) installed the sights and gave it a good cleaning particularly the bore. One thing I liked about this set up is that the sights I purchased, which are actually for a Marlin bolt action, were able to be mounted at the rear of the action. I suppose on the Marlin the bolt strikes the sights or something because they show the rear sight forward of the bolt and I didn’t care much for the way that looks, so I was pleased when I was able to place mine where they are. Now that I’ve said all that understand, I’m sparing you, the reader, a great deal of detail specifically, a lot of frustration, a boat load of grinding, some polishing, and some rather creative cursing, but ultimately I got it finished!
Hope you enjoy it, more importantly I hope I enjoy it! 🙂